replace timing chain?

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 8 20:40:34 CDT 2006

At 08:20 PM 6/8/2006, Steve Hirsch wrote:
>curious of peoples' opinions here about whether it's ok to continue
>using the original chain (assuming there's nothing obviously wrong
>with it), or if it's worthwhile to replace the chain itself also?

The timing chain is a big PITA to change.  I don't know what's really
involved, but the FSM says you have to remove the cylinder head, oil
pan, and of course all the front stuff.  Easiest way to do that is to
pull the engine out of the car.

Common opinion on the list for years has been that the chain is "good
for the life of the engine".  Which is kind of a chicken and egg
thing, because if it does break while turning, the engine is pretty
much destroyed.

You can score used engines cheaply enough that most just leave it,
and do an engine swap if it does go.  I think I've heard of only 2 or
3 chain failures on the list in - what? - 12 or 13 years?

    -Wayne  '06 RSX-S / 93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata