Failing lower ball joints?

John A. Heer jheer at walterhav.com
Mon Jun 5 07:47:07 CDT 2006

Ben:

I have had so many ball joints go out, I know the sound all too well.
It's a thunking noise on starting up from a stop or sometimes when you
stop.  It's not a clicking - it's harder and deeper than that.  You can
feel it in the frame of the car.

All you need to do is look at the ball joint to tell if it's bad. It
will either be loose in the socket/hole it fits into in the arm or the
boot will be torn.  Just buy a new control arm which comes with a new
ball joint.  Don't bother with trying to pound in a new ball joint into
the old control arm - it will only be a matter of time before you are
back to needing another ball joint and the hole in the arm will be too
big to hold it.

Ask how I know.

John Heer
93 SE-R