squeal - front wheels

Frank Ewald frank_ewald at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 5 01:15:04 CDT 2006

Wow, Ben, that is an answer and a half. Thank you

I've got enough WD-40 around that it's worth trying. Braking would be
back after a bit ... if no one shouts don't do that because it
backfired on you, I'll try that Tuesday or Wednesday. Hope the pads
survive, I'm trying to go to my first track day in a couple of weeks!

Ontario heat waves are very humid, but I promise you it's not just
humid days however. But truly when it's warm. Now I'm going to
confess. This problem started last fall. So bad that I took it into a
shop and that's when they were ready to replace everything in the
front end because they didn't know. Then they said just drive it til
it seizes, and you'll know what it is. That was easily 5 000
kilometers ago! And either I lose my hearing when it's cold or it
completely stopped.
Brakes just changed as I mentioned - I didn't have a good torque
wrench before, but bought a new good one (well, for me $100 is a good
one) for the brake job and torqued brakes to spec, wire wheeled the
torque members to ensure they were clean, rebuild calipers, torqued
to spec on brakes, 80 lbs on wheel nuts.

I hammered on the brakes in late fall, winter and early spring.
Absolutely no squealing (well, tires squealed a little - so that
rules out that I lose my hearing in cold weather! ;-)

Stuck in South Carolina. Did you really say that, Ben? If it were
winter right now, here in Ontario, those would be fighting words
because we'd all love to be in South Carolina. We've just come
through an incredibly humid heat wave with temperatures in the high
90s (squealing not much worse than when it was 70, from what I
recall). Broke after a torrential rainstorm flooded my street with
1.5 feet of water. My wife and kids went out driving in it in our
van. I'm surprised I still have a van - went so fast through the
water that it ripped the front plate off. That also caused me to
scratch my head because they didnt tell me they drove fast, leaving
me thinking who would steal a license plate and then put the screws
back in? Or why didn't the rusted off part stay behind the screws?
Till we found it propped up against a pole where the flooding was the
worst, obviously showing that it had been popped off over the screw
heads from pressure on the plate from the bumper. Not driving fast!
Needless to say, at supper that night we had a discussion about how
neither the van nor the cars should be driven through flooded
streets. I could just see the water sucked up through my CAI (had an
AEM by-pass valve, but didn't replace it when it broke) because my
kids didn't know better - first time in 20 years my street flooded.

Anyway, sounding more and more like wheel bearings.
Frank
PS
Ben, want the windshield wiper motor if the WD 40 trick works ;-)