New Car Thoughts

Khiem Dinh spdracerut at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 12:49:36 CDT 2006

>I need a new car.  The Acura RSX-S looks pretty
>appealing, price,
>reliability and performance wise.

I'd only get the RSX if you want the luxury stuff.
Otherwise, sticking with FWD, I'd go for the new Civic
Si.  Performs better, and cheaper :)  The Mini Cooper
S is also great, but has reliabity issues.  If you
have a dealer nearby...

As was also mentioned, the WRX.  One of my buddies
just got an 03 WRX wagon and it's a blast.  Soaks up
all the nasty stuff, pretty well damped, and
infinitely modable.  For reference, I did a track day
in my car (t25/s3 cams, ~230=240 whp at 7.5 psi,
Potenza S03 tires, Truechoice shortened Konis, etc.)
and ran a 1:07 with faded brakes.  I ran a 1:07 in the
wagon, totally stock with Sigma crap tires that the
dealer put on.

With a reflash, downpipe and exhaust, it puts the old
2.0L wrx at ~300 crank and will trap a bit over 100mph
in the quarter.  Easy upgrades using STI parts.
Upgrade the turbo to a VF34 and bigger injectors, and
you'll be in the 108 mph range.  The weakness on the
early gen WRXs though is the tranny.  But, tons and
tons of mods available.