Front Wheel Bearing

wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 27 08:51:10 CDT 2006

At 08:01 AM 4/27/2006, Bill Shafer wrote:
>I replaced the LF axle recently and maybe tightened the 32mm nut too
>tight. I was trying to get to the next notch on the nut when I used
>a piece of pipe to turn it. When I test drove it the rotor was
>rubbing the inside of the torque member and the inside pad was
>dragging. I loosened the nut till the rotor centered itself and all
>was fine until

Wow, my first thought was "those are impossible to over tighten"
since the spec is like 150 - 250 ft/lbs.  Usually I just lay on it
with my (somewhat feeble) air impact till it doesn't turn any
more.  But it the rotor is really scraping -- sounds like the bearing
is trashed, such that the whole hub is positioned improperly in the knuckle.

Guys - I've never replaced a bearing - is there some retaining clip
back there he might have just busted, allowing the bearing to shift,
but not damaging it?

See what the rest of the group says, but you might be needing a
bearing replaced (not uncommon, anyway.)

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '90 Miata