Kid in a toy store

Frank Ewald frank_ewald at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 25 06:00:15 CDT 2006

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'm having fun!

Since I'm in the process of rebuilding the NX2000 hardtop that I just
picked up, I've been going to wrecking yards to source some odds and
ends. Most major item I needed was the rear wiper arm. Wow - found
one yard with two 1600s and one 2000. At first glance the 2000 had
already been stripped and what was left looked like crap. And all
three had been stripped of the rear license plate light holder - why
would that be in demand? All three were t-top so the interior light
is different and won't replace my hardtop- I'm looking for the clear
lens. Found one on an older Pulsar NX that looked identical, but it's
about a 1/16th longer so won't fit! I am also looking for the 2000's
brake torque members so that I could upgrade my 1600s brakes. Those
were already long gone, so I'll keep searching. I may end up buying
those from the dealer, as they don't come with any rebuilt caliper
sets here in beautiful Canada.

But under the crap I realized that the leather steering wheel was in
pretty good condition and then I found the leather shift boot stuffed
under the passenger seat. I don't need them for the 2000, as the
interior is mint, but with a bit of cleaning they'll go on my 1600
and replace the plastic stuff! Between the three managed to get
almost all of the little pieces that I've been looking for - door
panel screws, screw covers, windshield washer container cover. Rear
wiper arm had been vandalized - had my choice of two! Got a like new
cruise control switch to replace my worn out lettering, and even got
a floor mat holder thing that wasn't all rusted up. Windshield heater
diffuser was cracked - now I have extras!  Wow, it's been fun.  I'm
going to go back and grab the complete tail light and head light
units, may need them eventually. Any other suggestions for what I
should grab?

Now, my tripmeter doesn't reset properly. I'm assuming it's not the
cable, but the actual unit inside the instrument panel, as it records
mileage but won't reset to 0000 ever. Have any of you taken apart the
actual instrument panel? If I get a working one from my NX "toy
store" could I pop that into my original instrument panel? That way I
keep the original working unit and just replace the malfunctioning part.

Hope you appreciate my find. Love to hear about items you've found
which have just made your day ... and your car!

Frank

btw, have done a complete tune up on the NX2000. Rebuilt calipers,
new pads on all four corners, some body filler until it gets to the
real metal - passed safety certificate and I'm taking it to work for
the first time today. Have my auto club card with me just in case.