15 years ago

Matt MA MA at legacypartners.com
Fri Apr 7 18:03:53 CDT 2006

Fall 1992 was the official start of "happy motoring" for me. First brand new
car I owned. A black 1992 SE-R. The first time I saw the SE-R was at the
Moscone Auto Show in SF the year before. I remember reading the spec sheet and
being impressed at the inclusion of an LSD and the affordable sticker price.
When I was finally in the market for a car, I went to the library and dug out
all the magazine articles published about the SE-R. As you all know, just
about all the mags raved about the SE-R.

It didn't hurt to have a good advertising campaign as well, which made a big
impression in my memory banks. Magazine ads showed a photo of the SE-R next to
the Datsun 510, calling the SE-R the spiritual descendant. Being a big 510
fan, this ad really spoke to my soul. The TV commercials had the owner of an
SE-R (Bob) getting VIP treatment everywhere he drove. There was a special
parking space reserved for him in front of city hall. There was a special lane
reserved for him as he drove through the bridge toll lanes while everyone else
waited in line. I wanted to be like Bob.

My dad came with me to buy the car. We had test driven the only SE-R on the
lot. My first impression was that this thing really handles! The suspension
felt very good in the turns, without a stiff ride. The motor was nice and
peppy as well. My previous car was a 1981 Dodge Colt, so compared to what I
was used to, the SE-R was not only an ultra high performance speed machine, it
was also super luxurious and plush! The salesman gave us the standard
negotiation routine but I had done my magazine research and we ended up paying
$200 over invoice. I remember driving around town and showing off the car to
all my friends that afternoon. I gave my little brother (12 years old) a ride
and he said "wow it's fast" and "I like the sound of the exhaust."

I joined the list in early 1997 with 15" wheels being my only mod. At the time
I barely knew how to change the oil. Through this list and the friends I made
here, I ended up hooked on track days and becoming a grease monkey, now able
to swap motors and fix 5th gear pop out. I'd still be driving the SE-R today,
if it weren't for some careless driver that rear ended me on thaf fateful day
in March 2005.

matt ma . 92 SE-R RIP
www.cardomain.com/id/matma92ser