My '94 G is a Dog

Jon turboser3006 at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 20:03:02 CDT 2006

Jon,

Chances are your knock sensor is bad. The only way the ECU knows is to
look for a short or an open (I reverse engineered one... long story).
You can check it yourself with a good meter, it should measure around
560k ohms. If you *really* don't want to replace, you can stick a 560k
resistor in its place and the ECU will be fooled. I don't recommend
doing that... it worked ok on my wife's '96 Max as long as I could be
certain of the fuel supply. The Max would run well down to about 90
octane without knocking. After hurricane Katrina, none of the fuel I
could find was even 87 (judging from how badly it knocked). I broke down
and spent the $150 or so for the sensor. That was easier than explaining
to my wife how to recognize spark knock and be gentle... :)

Jon Davis