15 years ago

Lawrence Weeks lweeks at anabasis.net
Sat Apr 1 10:46:12 CST 2006

On 3/31/06, geo3 at earthlink.net <geo3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dang, it's 15 years ago this month I bought mine as well.  What a trip down
> memory lane.  Sadly, mine has not run since 2000 when I had to pull my high
> output NA. I still own it though.

My NX has a refreshed JDM engine in it now, and runs well -- except
the lopey idle because my home-made EGR blockoff plates let some air
in. And the leaking exhaust at the cat. And there are a, um, few dents
-- rear hatch, right fender, right door, cracked windshield. Great
city car. I should fix it, I already have spare body parts, but there
is rust in all the familiar places (except the A pillars that were
replaced years ago) -- I should really find a rust-free NX from
elsewhere and do the parts swap again. Anybody know of a cheap 91-92
black NX without rust?

I think I'm going to go change oil today and send off a sample for testing.

> PS:  I was just thinking about you the other day Darren and wondering if a)
> you still had your car and b) you were still on the list.  I miss the good
> old days of the list.  It had a difference sense of camaradarie from the
> forums - I think a tighter knit group.

We hail from an earlier time where we shunned/ejected the twits, and
since we all got every email on every topic, we all were in the same
boat together. As a consequence we also valued each other's limited
time and generally kept things on topic and relatively concise, or at
least valued that ideal. A web forum isn't nearly the same type of
community. The things valued in a web forum are different. I don't
have the time to click around on all the gazillion different threads
and keep up on everything, resulting in a sense of disconnectedness,
and a lack of interest in participating. With everything dumped into
an email folder, it's right there instantly, no going to find it. You
can quickly glance at a message and read it or dispose of it, yet
still have a connection with the topic, and hence the community. The
tools available in a mail client are far superior for filtering,
grouping and selecting items of interest. Perhaps I'm too set in my
ways, but I just can't do web forums. Thankfully, web forums have only
taken over primarily in the lighter weight social communities, such as
cars. In most technical communities, mailing lists (or even Usenet!)
still reign for discussion.

Larry
Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks at anabasis.net
Anabasis Consulting Ltd