personal dilemma, and starter removal

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 16 11:58:54 CST 2006

Jared, I understand your dilemma. My SE-R is not quite in the same place,
but all the same, at 215k things are wearing out....it needs tie rods, rear
brakes, will need wheel bearings soon and I am afraid I may be hearing rod
bearings. Like you I bought mine new (May 1993) and it is my first car,
too, so I am very attached to it. I have not been able to bring myself to
not keep it, even though its maintenance is starting to actually cost me
something.

Now, that said.....

I am finally trying to replace the starter on my garage queen. I picked up
a used B14 starter from a forum member in Atlanta. Alas, I am having some
difficulty. Both bolts are out, but that b**ch won't budge from the bell
housing. I can get my hand in there and grab it, but no dice, nor with
prying. It occurs to me that perhaps it failed with the pinion gear engaged
on the flywheel, which would suck. Regardless, any suggestions for breaking
it loose?

David