For Love of the Car

Bill Shafer wgs at zoominternet.net
Wed Nov 2 08:45:45 CST 2005

I joined the list in 1999 when I bought my '91 Aztec Red Classic. I had wanted
one since '91 but put it off because of family etc. Since then I lowered it
with Koni/Eibach setup, warm air intake, Hotshot Header, and the usual MAF
ground, timing adjustment to 17 deg, 195/50/15 BF Goodrich and American Racing
Wheels, AD22VF brake upgrade. Because of this list I did it all myself. What a
great help everyone was and still is. I did my own tune-ups, halfshaft
replacements, EGR Cleaning, timing chain tensioner plus numerous tweaks. I
still have the car and drive it often but garage it a lot of the time. I did
some autocrossing but found I wasn't very good at it. The reason I didn't do
well was the fact that I had Lasik surgery and chose the mono vision where one
eye is a little bit nearsighted and the other 20-20. Apparently with a
reduction in depth perception the cones were hard to navigate and all I saw
was a sea of cones. I got glasses to correct this but never autocrossed again.
I also never wear the glasses either ( that's why I had the surgery).