Gas Prices

Dan Thompson dthompson at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 1 06:21:11 CDT 2005

> What's the best way to save gas on a daily driver? Keep the tach toward
> the left? Any other ideas?

Gradual application of the throttle.

Aggressive throttle application will cause the ECU to add fuel beyond
what is normally needed for a given engine load to prevent a lean
condition -- much like the accelerator pump, or "squirter", on a
carburetor. In addition, the ECU will briefly retard timing to prevent
detonation.

Gradual roll-in on the throttle will minimize (or even prevent) this fuel
enrichment and timing retard.

Need proof? Two different guys -- my brother and me -- driving the same
car; same cruising speed, same road conditions. He's aggressive with the
throttle, I'm less so. I got 2-3 mpg more than he did.

-Dan