Drivers side axle replacement

Bill wgs at zoominternet.net
Wed Jul 20 17:36:39 CDT 2005

OK, so I replace the left axle on my '91 Classic and everything goes smooth.
Now today I am driving the interstate for about 20 miles, at about 70 to 80
mph, make a 20 min stop then return same distance. On the way back I hear a
squealing noise from LF. It's the same sound you get when the low brake pad
indicator hits or when the wheel hits the dust cover after the AD22VF Brake
upgrade. It would come and go. I could make it stop by braking or accelerating
or turning right and left quickly. It would come back when I am driving
straight and then go away.

When I get home I take the wheel off, then the caliper and rotor. The dust
cover is close but not touching but I bend it back a little more just in case.
I look at the pads and the squealer is fairly close to the pad surface, maybe
1/16". There is still a lot of pad left but I fiddle with it to make sure it
is snug and fitting right. It seems to be OK.

While both wheels are off the ground I started it up and ran about 20 mph. The
threaded part after the spline is wobbling and there is a slight wobble in the
axle too.  I got it from Autozone(I know). The spline went into the hub fine
so I am assuming it is straight at that point. I took it for a spin and no
more noise. I went about 10 miles.

My question is could the wobble cause the wheel bearing to make the squealing
noise? I am not sure I tightened it to specs because my torque wrench only
goes to 150 f/lbs, but I got it really tight. Could the spline be cocked even
though it went in with no problem? BTW there was no vibration in the steering
at 75-80 before, during, or after the squealing. I went slower after the noise
started.

You guys are the best and I would really like to hear your opinion.

Bill Shafer '91 Classic 101K Some mods