Power steering overheating, or?

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 16 17:00:18 CDT 2005

>I do.  I've seen a ported PS pump.  Pretty damned cool.  It was done by a
>list member some time ago.  I'll let folks ponder that and guess who might
>be that clever.  Last I heard it worked great.

That sounds worthwhile, but like you suggested later it's probably
something best done in little measures, or at least with the mindset that
you are doing a bit of home R&D. It reminds me of Rolls Royce's first use
of GM automatic transmissions many decades ago - they polished the valve
bodies because they wanted the finish to be to the same standard as the
rest of the car......trouble is, the relatively small drop in pressure in
the VB caused the ATX to shift harshly and distinctly un RR-like.

Wayne wrote:
>Seriously doubt it...  WW is water based.  Plus the reason it works in
>water is you get localized boiling (like steam bubbles on the bottom of a
>pan on your stove.)  Any sort'a PS fluid would probably ignite or turn to

Actually, what you get is cavitation, not boiling. You are never going to
boil the PS fluid (unless the car's on fire, I suppose :) ) but cavitation
is what causes the assist to cut out. But putting some WW and Redline PS
fluid in a jar together seems like a good place to start to get a
first-order idea of whether they will at least mix.

David