alternator death

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 30 08:41:28 CDT 2005

How long have I got once my no-charge lights (battery+brake) come on to
tell me that my alternator's not charging? This happened on the way to work
Friday and I was a bit worried about making it up there and then back (~30
miles, ~40 minutes each way) without the battery dying, but I have been
ficne so far. However, I really have little idea whether I can get, say,
another week out of it or another day. My experience seems to be that if it
is not charging at all I've got about 30 minutes.

This happened almost immediately after jump-starting my SE-R, during which
I hooked up the cables to the G20 when it was already running rather than
before I started it. Consequently I thought I may have blown a fusible link
when I made the connection to the SE-R, but the charge light did not go on
immediately, and it has not been on constantly, so I'm pretty sure it is
just a dying alternator.

Any idea how long it'll last?

David