need help--what do these problems have in common?

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Fri Mar 25 17:27:57 CST 2005

 > car won't start, all lights come on but no starter action.

Sounds like a bad grounding issue. Check ground from battery terminal to
chassis and engine block. I would bet the grounding to the engine block
is bad.

> 1. Wants to die/idle very low when clutch pushed in
> 2. Gas gauge drops to E from 3/4 and

The gas gaude problem can be caused by a bad ground as well... The idle
problem also, although maybe not.

> 3. At one point, the clutch pedal stayed down on floor.  The driver had to
> pull it up with her foot, and it acted normally after that.

The clutch cable is adjusted a bit high, and when the clutch pedal was
pushed to the floor, the clutch over centered. Otherwise, if the pdeal
was stuck half way up from the floor, your clutch cable is adjusted WAY
too low. This will caus ethe pedal to stick half way up, as well as a
low idle when the clutch is pushed in, because the clutch is never fully
being disengaged. I would look for a bad ground, and check the pedal
adjustment. I'd say 95% that your clutch is adjusted too low. (Meaning
it grabs almost at the floor)
If the clutch is grabbing at the floor, adjust it higher.

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R