Plaxo

Matthew T. Blackmon segoy at firesermon.com
Wed Feb 9 16:52:28 CST 2005

I think you might want to do a little more research. Plaxo makes money by
offering a corporate setup. They give it free to anyone because it makes
their corporate package more valuable.

And it doesn't send these out indiscriminately. It notes who you're
corresponding with most based on your sent items and then offers to craft
this message to the persons you OK it to. Aparantly the person who sent this
request wasn't paying attention, or didn't notice they OK'd this message to
the list.

From: Wayne <wmc2004aug at bellsouth.net>
Subject: AVOID THIS SCAM (was:  Staying in touch)

In case any of you are not aware of the scam that is "Plaxo", I'd suggest
you just ignore & delete this.

They're some on-line service that claims to offer a unified,
accessible-from-anywhere address book.  Except when you install it, it takes
the liberty of uploading your entire address book back to them, and sending
out these annoying "update" requests (with practically no warning.)

Their privacy policies are rather sketchy, and they've never announced WHY
they're so intent on collecting all this personal information.  Nor have
they announced any business model to explain how they intend to become
profitable by giving away a free product.