5th gear replacement tools?

Lawrence Weeks lweeks at anabasis.net
Sun Feb 6 19:02:14 CST 2005

Ben Fenner wrote:

> If someone will experience inside our transmissions could give me a
> holler, that'd be great. I want to start ordering parts soon so I can
> fix this over spring break, but only if I know I'll be able to perform
> the installation. I only plan on replacing the 5th gear and the
> accompanying part, and seals of course. I do not need to doa full
> rebuild (I hope).

If you are just repairing fifth gear, and not replacing bearings, then
the only special tool you will need, really, is a drift to install the
new fifth gear onto the shaft, and a bench vise to hold it while you do
that. I made a drift from a piece of PVC tubing and a PVC end-cap. Odds
are you will not need a press, the old fifth gear will probably slide
right off. If you do need to press the old gear off, just take it to a
shop. Otherwise, you need a snap ring plier set, and a set of punch pins
is handy.

To do the job properly, you also need to measure the end play at the
fifth gear and get the correct size snap ring, they come in different
sizes. You probably will re-use the one you have, but if you do need a
different one, you should get it. A too-small snap ring could cause you
to get fifth gear popout again relatively soon. To measure for that, a
set of clearance gauges should work.

Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks at anabasis.net
Anabasis Consulting Ltd