Tires (And challenging the +38mm offset rule)[long]

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Sat Feb 5 21:44:13 CST 2005

I'm going to go out on a limb here and challange the +38mm offset rule.
I bought a set of 15" Panasport Ultra-Lights (15x7) with a +38mm offset
due to the overwhelming recommendations by list members. Eventually, I
upgraded to the 11.75" kit from fastbreaks (4 piston calipers, etc.)
There was no way my wheel spokes were going to clear the calipers, even
though I did my best (special ordering a set of panasports with added
break clearance). I ended up having to design a 12mm wheel spacer at
www.eMachineShop.com to clear the breaks. A 15mm spacer from H&R was too
big, and 10mm would have been too small. My point to all of this: after
adding the 12mm spacer to the wheels, the tires (205/50/15 Kumho Exsta
Supras) line up perfectly with the fender. I understand this causes
rubbing issues for some, but with stock power and a stock suspension,
your front and rear tires shouldn't ever touch the fender lips. I've
never had it happen. With more power, you should have a tighter spring
rate, also keeping the wheels off the fenders. A racing allignment would
only keep them further from the fenders. My offset with the spacers (if
I've done my calculations correctly) is +26mm. I realize this puts a
little extra stress on the wheel hub, (and possibly the ball joint?) but
that's not really an issue as far as I'm concerned. Stickier tires do
the same thing. This offset also removes any need to worry about the
rear tires rubbing the strut tower pirch. You can run a 215 tire in the
rear with a good 5-7mm to spare.

Anyone with me?

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R