5th gear popout

Turbo Dog turbodog1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 27 13:24:20 CST 2004

This problem is well known but not quite wide-spred enough to trigger a recall. My original tranny developed it within 1.5 yrs. It was rebuilt under warranty, but with the same parts- 3 yrs later it showed up again. By that time, they had superceded part #'s with upgraded design. I was out of warranty and out of luck. Bought a used replacement and put 80K on it w/no problems. Courtesy (and Mossy?) has a pop-out kit with about everything you need.  It was suspected that sagging engine mounts are the  culprit which leads to failure. I think it is the engine torque mounts since they allow so much for/aft play of the drivetrain. I put solid urethane torque mounts in w/the replacement tranny and had no prolems since.

Pat

Troy Siahaan <rotaryracer2184 at hotmail.com> wrote: .
My '91 classic pops out of 5th gear constantly now.

92 SE-R Turbo
188k miles of smiles