Starter Brushes follow-up

Ed edmiska at comcast.net
Sun Nov 21 19:57:54 CST 2004

Follow-up

After two automotive parts places, GI Joes, and Baxter told me they didn't
carry any starter parts I thought I was in for a whole new starter.
 However, Schucks had the starter motor brushes at a cost or $35.  The part
is a complete set of four brushes mounted on a sheet metal plate that is
held on by two screws, and therefore it is easy to mount

Original:
Anyone know where I can get new brushes to put in my 91 G20 starter motor?

I originally had some difficulty determining if the problem was the
solenoid because every time I removed the starter it worked perfectly on
the bench.  This time I tried powering the motor directly from the battery
before removing it and it didn't respond.  Therefore certainly not a
solenoid or control circuit.  (Bypassing the starter solenoid will only
spin the motor.  It won't engage the ring gear.)