[OT] Welding Primers

Jon Pennington cowboydren at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 14:31:52 CST 2004

Last weekend I had a particularly tough time replacing the exhaust on
my wife's Saturn.  I had a pipe kit, some mufflers, and an Airco MIG
welder rigged for flux-core wire.  Well, I'm pretty sure that it was
rigged with .028" wire, when I really would have rather had .040"
wire.  It was 2AM when most of the welding took place (no ambient
light; only a 150w portable halogen lamp).  I had the car only 18" off
the ground instead of on a lift.  It was cold (~30* F).  And I was
wearing waaaay too much cotton and not nearly enough leather.  It was
all a mess.

Anyway, before I have to do this on my own car, I'd like to get some
more reading material on the subject of welding.  I know that welding
is more of a skill than a science, but I'd like to get a little more
science under my belt before testing my non-existent skills.
HowStuffWorks was really disappointing.  Any pointers for good online
primer/tutorials?

--
-=|JP|=-   "Here; Let me show you how squeeze de fish..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |      cowboydren at b15sentra dot net        |