Building Motor some questions....

P at bossman at customsteel.com
Tue Aug 24 15:15:30 CDT 2004

From: "Jon Pennington"

> What Geo is saying is that you can't turn air into aluminum on most
> standard CNC mills. ;)  You have to use a welder to build up chamber and
> port material, *then* cut it with the mill.

Agreed...

> *My* POV is that you can have a head welded *then* send it to the CNC
> bench and *still* save a ton of money versus welding and then shaping by
> *hand*.

Well, you dont need Mikes confirmation on this.  I do own a CNC machine, and
know its capacities on complex contours and the level of finish you can
achieve with these things.  It is simply amazing taking 0.0001" (yes thats
one ten thousands of an inch) on a surface and seeing only tool path marks
and the surface is completely smooth to the touch.  I used to do this for a
rubber injection mold contract in tool steel, where the galleys were too
small and deep to hand finish.  But you were also talking about a 32 hour
tool path as well.

P@
99' G20 with some mods...
91' G20 being built....