DE block

Jon Pennington cowboydren at b15sentra.net
Mon Aug 23 14:59:23 CDT 2004

Steve Lotho said:

> My question is... Can I bore out the cylinder wall, if I can depending
> on how bad it is scored, and install a 300z piston in there?  Should I
> just keep everything (heads, intake and so on) and discard the engine
> block?

If you need a running motor *right*now*, the obvious answer is to get a
$250 JDM engine with no accessories, and put your head on it's block.

For massive fun, I'd rather put flat-topped VG30DE pistons in your block.
This requires a 1mm overbore, which takes .5mm off of the wall.  If you
have scores deeper than .5mm, this clearly won't work.  It takes a bit of
work, but the midrange punch of an 11:1 motor, I hear, is worth every
penny.  This is all assuming that your scoring is minimal and the bearing
journals are intact.

The right thing to dois to send the block to JWT and have their machine
shop take care of it.  The cheap thing to do would be to get a spare
bellhousing, spare accessories, bolt/torque it all on, and have your shop
make you a deck plate to fit SR20 engines; you'd get similar enough
results in trueness and concentricity. ;)

--
-=|JP|=-   "Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |      cowboydren at b15sentra dot net        |