Rod Bearing Question

Josh Foster jfoster at hoelscherengr.com
Sat Jul 31 13:20:28 CDT 2004

List,

I have a couple quick questions.  I don't think this is covered in the
archives (or I just missed it during my search).  I just received my new
engine (SR20VE), and I am going to replace most all maintenance items (water
pump, cap, rotor, etc.).  The rod bearing "grades" as found on the crank at
#1 read "2-1-1-0".  I've read Geo's article in SCC about his DET swap and
I've read Mike K's article on Sentra.net.  Both state "When buying bearings,
I have also observed that if an engine has any kind of mileage on it, the
next tighter bearing size can be used other than the number that is stamped
on each journal of the block and crank."

Does this mean to go ahead and expect to run "2-2-2-1"?  Or just order a
couple spares like "2-2-2-1-1-0" then I would pretty much cover most all
expected combinations?  I would rather have them on hand since my local
dealer isn't the greatest, so I'll be going through Greg V.

I guess the original "2" just better be in good shape since I believe it is
the "tightest" - FSM is outside, but I think that is correct.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh Foster
'92 SE-R-> daily driver (soon to be stock)
'92 NX2000 -> soon to be VE'd & 5 spd converted

'91 SE-R->parts car (gone but donated 5 spd)

http://webpages.charter.net/j_foster/Index.htm