Passenger Side G20 Axle removal

Michael Jez 93SER at attbi.com
Sat Jul 17 11:05:44 CDT 2004

I remove the upper controll arm bolt- 17mm, then I remove the shock mounting
bolt-17mm, out of the lower portion of the steering knuckle.I also undo the
sway bar end links from the controll arms and pop the tie rod out of the
steering knuckle. Then I remove the 12mm bolt that holds the brake line to
the steering knuckle. With the big axle nut off the axle should slide right
out of the hub. Then I get under the car and remove the 3 12mm bolts that
hold the axle to the "axle center support" which is right above the upper
oil pan. Sometimes the axle is stuck in a center support or in the hub. Well
the outter end has a small little hole in the center of the axle shaft- the
threaded area. I use a air hammer with a pointy tip and with a few bursts of
it.... the axle slides out of the hub. If the axle is stuck in the center
support I use a different attachement for the air hammer and split the 2
apart by air hammering down between the support and axle. Then U slide the
axle out. Make sure to have some tranny fluid ready, as some will come out
the tranny through the diff when U remove the axle.
Mike Jez
01 Max 5spd
93 G20 Turbo.