brand new B13

davidpertuz at mindspring.com davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 6 13:35:45 CDT 2004

>The next question: how do the tail pipe emission targets compare and what's
>required by law to meet them?  Is there a reciprocal agreement between U.S. and
>Mexico so that a Mexican car can be considered EPA legal for resale in U.S.?

As far as getting a non-US-market car to pass goes, as long as it passes the sniffer
tests you can get it registered in at least some states. A friend of mine here has as
his daily driver a '95 Fiat Bravo, which was brought in by a French woman and then,
somehow, resold and registered legally in NY state. It passed emissions as-is, and I
have no idea how it got past the safety hurdles. I also know of osmeone here who has
several Lotus Elises with their Rover engines which are legally registered with CA plates,
but that was done in sort of an obscure way.

>>Of course, this says nothing about safety requirements.
>Safety requirements are quite different, you can see it on mexican B13s,
>for example, the side markers
>are non existant because they're not required.

This is what will probably keep you from getting a Mexican B13 in. Keep in mind also
that these cars don't have air bags and I think this practically guarantees that you
won't get the car in. The car I was in did feel like it had seatbelt pretensioners, though.

David