Startup clacking/clatter?

George Roffe geo3 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 25 20:24:42 CDT 2004

Peter Serwe wrote:

>I installed S3's recently, blocked the tensioner,
>and did the install per FSM specs.  Everything
>seems fine, but now I have a nasty sounding
>racket when I first crank the engine over, for
>at least the first few revolutions.

>My gut tells me this is the standard timing chain
>tensioner issue, but I'm curious if that's off base.

You know, those who have been here a long time will know that I've long
suspected the chain tensioner for this problem.  This just really makes me
feel that much stronger about it.  I think the tensioner must leak down
somehow.

Now that this happened right after a cam change makes me believe it even
more.  I have no causal data to back it up.  Call it a hunch.  A feel.  But
I'm sticking with it.

George Roffe
NISsport
http://www.nissport.com