mixing cams

Paul Kieca paulkieca at msn.com
Fri Jun 18 14:31:22 CDT 2004

I finally got around to installing my S4 cams. I put in the S4 intake cam in
first but didn't have enough time to finish the job so I left the stock
exhaust cam in. I bumped the timing to 17* to compensate for the stock
exhaust cam. I take it for a test drive and the car pulls so much stronger.
It made a night and day difference.  I'm going to put the exhaust cam in
sooner or later but what are the pros (if any) and cons of running the stock
exhaust cam. I heard that on the sr20forum Mike Kojima and Andreas Miko both
recommend smaller exhaust cams for the DE. I don't see anything wrong with
the S4 intake / stock exhaust combination. If someone is looking for a $250
~15whp gain - why not just buy a replacement S4 intake cam then?

Paul Kieca
99 Sentra SE with a highport engine i/h/e/S4 intake cam/and a bunch of other
stuff