What tires to run for track days?

Ray Sta.Juana raystajuana at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 17:56:33 CDT 2004

I've got my OEM 15" rims that I want to put some dedicated tires for track
day fun on. The problem is that I only go to track events 2-3 times a year
so the tires would see a lot of downtime. Is it safe for R-compound tires to
be kept out of use so long or would I have to get Hi-Performance street
tires for the job? I was deciding between Toyo RA-1 or one of the Kumho race
tires (any recommendations on which compound?) The other alternative is to
get Falken Azenis and use those but I'll have to worry about the rubber
getting too old before they wear out since they probably won't be worn out
after 4-6 track days, meaning almost 2 yrs, maybe more. The size I'm looking
to run is 205/50/15. Thanks for any advice.

Ray S
98 Sentra SE w/mods
04 Kwak Ninja 250R w/mods