Got classic rust? (...& dirt?)

Carlos Gutierrez cgutierrez at ci.glendora.ca.us
Mon May 3 12:53:47 CDT 2004

For all you older classic owners, particularly those in the Midwest &
the rustbelt, take heed; your car has cancer.  It's inevitable when a
car sits in the snow up to the beltline, or <gasp> higher! :P   I always
knew it b/c that's why I made the deal on my '91 about $2k lower than
the asking price when I bought it in '96.

My '91 track slut is originally from Michigan, which I believe means
"corrosion" in the region's Native American dialect.  Recently, I
finally got a replacement fender to finally repair the road rash from an
accident & started to unscrew (a relative term) the fasteners, to find
only 4 of them needed attention from the Dremel.

Now, what came out of the bottom of this fender when I started to
finally pry it off near the door was about 1.5 lbs of DIRT, rocks,
leaves, & everything else a small rodent.  I am inclined to remove the
other fender's bottom portion just for the sake of losing another 1-2
lbs.:)

Oh & btw, coarse thread drywall screws work wonders when reattaching
bumper skins to inner wheel well liners. :P

CAG