alternator rebuilding

davidpertuz at mindspring.com davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 30 09:53:39 CDT 2004

Welp, looks like I also need to repalce the alternator on my G - that's where the whining is coming from, and I've had the lights (battery+handbrake) flicker occasionally at idle. Maybe the whining was never the crank pulley at all, but it was visibly bad anyway so it did need replacement.

The whining could be a bad alternator bearing, but I don't think so.

So I am thinking of either rebuilding my alternator myself or taking it to a shop. OTOH when I see the price of a new voltage regulator, I might as well just buy a rebuilt. Or get one for $48 from JGY, which is a lot cheaper. Or use the extra one I have lying around, which I had intended for the Garage Queen.

If I want to rebuild the alternator myself, what do I need to replace?

thanks,
David