Rolling the fenders.

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Fri Apr 23 21:32:34 CDT 2004

Okay, I threw on these +35 7" rims, and I was
laughing about what I thought was going to be a
trivial issue, rolling the fenders.  So, I grabbed a
baseball bat, and kind of tested a little bit.

Well, the fenders aren't going to move all that easily.

Luckily for me, I run kind of high in the rear, so it's
unlikely I'll ever be in a rubbing situation on the street.

The downside is, I have to flare them before I can go
to a track event.  I don't dare risk rubbing at speed.

So, the real question is going to be, what's the proper
method of 'rolling' the fenders?  Is it with a baseball bat?

Is there some sort of tool that works to do them
on car, preferably?  Should I just cut away the section
of metal I suspect will rub?  It's mostly on the
horizontal portion, where the fender folds back inwards,
that I'm worried about.  It'll cut tire like a knife.

I'm talking to body shop guys too, but I was hoping there
was somebody on the list who had some experience with
this.  It'll be a lot more critical if I end up lowering the car
with shorter struts, which isn't likely to happen really soon,
but a goal, nonetheless.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at easytree.net>