Need help selecting a safety harness

George Roffe geo3 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 17:36:04 CDT 2004

Darin L Dux wrote:

>Several autocrossers I know have harnesses in their cars without a rollbar
>and until now I've not heard any concern with this.  I'd like to hear more
>about these issues.

Without a rollbar at minimum the only thing that could save you if the roof
collapses is for the seatback to break.  Otherwise the belts hold you
upright and in place.  If the roof collapses and you are held in place, the
only thing that can happen is you get shorter the hard way.

I personally will not instruct in a car with race belts only without at
least a rollbar.  No way no how.  While I appreciate what Jim had to say,
wearing race belts without a race seat and at least a rollbar is like
saying you don't wear seatbelts because someone you know survived a major
accident because they weren't wearing them.

> >These days don't even consider a 4 or even a 5 point harness.

>Could you expound more on this point as well?

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126126

Third paragraph in the first post covers this better than I could restate it.

George Roffe
Houston, TX  USA
http://www.nissport.com