Need help selecting a safety harness

Darin L Dux ddux at vermeermfg.com
Mon Apr 19 16:45:08 CDT 2004

George Roffe wrote:
>I won't go into all the reasons you shouldn't
>use a racing harness in a road car without at
>least a rollbar, but you shouldn't.

This has me concerned.  I have been considering adding a 5 point in my TT Z
because the factory belts seem so inadequate.  In '94 they changed, but in
my '93 both the shoulder and lap belts are built into the door with the idea
that you never unbuckle them; just slide underneath into the seat.  That's
all fine and good, but in addition to this they don't ever lock.  During
spirited driving there's no way to engage the lock to feel even remotely
secure.

Several autocrossers I know have harnesses in their cars without a rollbar
and until now I've not heard any concern with this.  I'd like to hear more
about these issues.

>These days don't even consider a 4 or even a 5 point harness.

Could you expound more on this point as well?

Thanks,
Darin - former G20, NX, NX, 200SX owner