SR20development info

Zak Nilsson zak.nilsson at latimes.com
Tue Mar 30 11:40:24 CST 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, at 5:00 AM, Ryan Le Gros wrote:

> Oh jesus I just bought a transmission from them for my GTi-R swap last
> month, I got the tranny, but should I be checking to see if it came
> from a
> chopped car?

No.

>  I can't believe Chris was involved in this, but caught on
> footage?! This really is disappointing. If in the rare case my tranny
> is
> hot, what should I expect?

It's not hot. As was stated, Chris at SR20 had nothing to do with fraud
of any kind. SR20 Development is not now and never has been a chop
shop. Some idiot with a Prelude asked Chris to take the motor and
tranny out of his car under the pretense that he was doing a motor
swap. Chris took the motor and tranny out and that's it. Hardly
stripping the car, is it? Then the owner of the car said he didn't have
the money to pay Chris, towed it away, and a couple days later reported
it stolen. The cops found the car's hood at the owner's house, the hood
was on the car when it left SR20.

Mostly what I'm pissed off about is that article. It's blatant yellow
journalism and factually false in a number of places. For example, it
says "A video that showed a Honda being stripped for parts". Come
again? So every time somebody wants a motor swap the act of taking the
motor out is stripping it for parts? Sorry, but irresponsible
journalism is a pet peeve of mine, because I work at a newspaper. The
author of that article is a moron. She mentions "stripping" the car a
number of times, when nothing of the kind was done. What's worse is
that she got her info from the police who apparently have no idea what
stripping a car for parts looks like either. But it's still her
responsibility to check her "facts" before going to print.

Well I'm done, you can have the soapbox back. But don't automatically
assume the worst of Chris at SR20 just because it's easier to believe
bad about somebody than good. Innocent until proven guilty, and I have
no doubts that Chris will not only be cleared of all charges but I'm
hoping he'll get some kind of cash settlement as well for lost business
because of this.

-Zak