Clutch

Boonrat Lohwongwatana boonrat at caltech.edu
Wed Mar 3 12:29:25 CST 2004

Clutch failures can come from many factors and its longevity depends
on many things. We can't simply say that 60K miles is too early for a
clutch to go. Actually, it sounds about average, I think. However,
some people with many highway miles will see much longer life. I know
a guy who said he was "easy" on the clutch but every time I see him
granny-shift his gears, the car jerks, etc. In many cases, premature
failures come from dumping clutches, hard launches, and playing with the
clutch on the slope/bridge (is there a jargon for this?)

My pressure plate was still ok at around 100K miles but I upgraded to
ACT PP because we had to replace the disc. The disc was glazed after
only 10K miles because someone wasn't used to my car's pedal height
drove my car on the track.

In your case, I really doubt that it is because of MT90. I have had many
happy miles with it.

As for putting engine oil in the tranny, it is probably ok. Many Honda
FSM in the early 90's specifically suggest using engine oil in their
tranny too. Some websites might say it will hurt your synchros, seals,
etc, but Honda engineers should know well enough to recommend so.

However, I myself would just do that in case of emergency only. Just
to be on the safer side, I would change it to Redline or Royal
Purple GL4 tranny fluid soon.

Good luck!

Boonie