KOYO Radiator (Kinda long)

Ray Sta.Juana raystajuana at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 18:23:35 CST 2004

matt ma . wrote:
Ray - What is the part number for this Koyo radiator? How does it
compare with the all aluminum Koyo?
Should radiator replacement be part of preventative maintenence? If so,
how long should the stock one last? Or should I just wait until
something bad happens?

I don't have any experience with any other radiator other than my OEM one
and the one I just got. The part no. is A1317 and it is aluminum with
plastic end tanks just like the OEM one except it's a little bit thicker.
I'm actually gonna install it as soon as I get done typing this so I won't
have any impressions until I go to a track event.

As far as maintenance of the radiator, just make sure it's not too badly
dented in the fin area and obviously no leaks and it should be fine. Most
times the fluid is the reason why it's not cooling as well as it should.
Either that or the fins are badly deformed by bugs and other debris. I'm not
sure how common it is for rust to come from the inside but that also another
factor that you can test when you drain your coolant on a regularly
scheduled basis. Mine sprung a leak and that's why I'm replacing it but
otherwise seems in decent shape. I might keep it as a spare if it can be
repaired. Maybe

I actually had only one instance where my car ran hot and that was at Cal
Speedway in July of last year and was the first time I took the car to the
track after I did my NA mods (I/H/E/ECU/S3 Cams) but before that, I went to
several track days and never saw the needle climb. Then again, you should be
aware that our temp gauges are really only reading on the extreme ends of
the spectrum, i.e., it's either COLD or its HOT. Anywhere in between and
that needle won't budge from the center dial. When its climbing, it's
already HOT, not just getting there.

If you still think you need one here's where I got mine from. I paid about
$180 total. Hope this helps

Autotech By Beck
1930 E. Walnut St.
Pasadena, CA 91107