Bad wheel bearing

Boonrat Lohwongwatana boonrat at caltech.edu
Wed Feb 25 16:39:27 CST 2004

John and Darren,

Similar to many kinds of noise people trying to explain on automotive
forums, mailing lists, the sound of wheel bearing is difficult to explain
too. Umm.....it sounds like kruu...kruu...kruu...heh!

My bad wheel bearing sounds like my stomach growling. It has low pitch
noise, similar that of a tire rubbing on plastic wheel-well coverings.

At the beginning, very likely you will have one side go bad first. And you
will only hear the noise while you are turning. If your right wheel
bearing goes bad, you will hear the noise (at the early stage) only while
turning left at relatively low speed. The noise will get louder, and you
will eventually hear it even if you are turning at high speed (overcomes
lots of background noise). Vice versa on left wheel bearing. At this early
stage, you won't hear anything if you are going straight.

I had this noise for a long while, but not long enough to achieve any type
of catastrophic failure to share with you, Darren. :-)

Boonie (always w/ ears and nostrils wide-opened while driving)

92 NX2000
95 200SX SE-R
91 Classic (sold)