Brake rotor question

Lawrence Weeks dev at anabasis.net
Mon Feb 23 09:52:44 CST 2004

Once upon a time (Sun Feb 22), Brax Sisco wrote:

> The problem now is a rubbing, scraping sound brakes make at low
> speed stops.

Do you hear it when driving slowly (let the car coast), not using
the brakes, with the window open? Drive next to a concrete barrier
or similar thing. If so, it might just be the splash guard. They bend
very easily (thin sheet metal) and can scrape against the rotor.

> Now, I thought brake pads were the wear item, and the rotors should
> last a while. Am I being lied to, or can 74000 miles wear the rotors
> down that much?

Rotors definitely wear down. And 74k miles is a pretty good life for
rotors. If this is actually the first time pads have been replaced
(are you the original owner?), then you drive very very gently... or
take lots of very long trips on the highway. If it did actually take
you 74k miles to wear down pads, then the rotors may still have some
decent life in them.

As for turning, I pretty much never turn rotors anymore. They aren't
that expensive, and turning them makes them thinner, which makes them
easier to warp, which then requires replacement...

Larry
Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks at anabasis.net
Anabasis Consulting Ltd