Exhaust too loud. Suggestions?

Frank Ewald frank_ewald at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 21 07:12:01 CST 2004

I can hardly hear myself think at highway speed inside my car. What
suggestions do you have for a resonator?

I've just installed parts I've collected the last few months on my
NX1600. HS header, CAI with AEM by-pass valve, fabricated 2" exhaust
with mandrel bends including resonator, hi-flow cat, magnaflow
single-dual oval 14220 muffler, B&M shifter and an ES hyperflex kit.  I
currently have the folks who built my exhaust looking for a bigger
resonator than the one they told me would do the job, but I need some
help. I want to stay stainless steel - in one of his articles Mike
talks about a Walker Magnum glass pack - I'm not sure if that's
stainless. The archives refer to the dynomax bullet and one from
vibrant. What about the XL powerpack series from magnaflow? I am
looking forward to hearing from your experience about the type of
resonator that your wife and neighbors were happy with.

Apart from not being able to hear, my initial reaction was also
disappointing. The car didn't feel faster, felt tighter thanks to the
bushings (like I'd turned my AGX's up a couple of notches), but
actually felt slower as there was no power surge at in the middle of
the rpm range as with the stock system. Out on the highway I could tell
that high end response was certainly improved. Then I got to a road
where I knew my car's speed capability. From stop and a slow start I
hit 60 mph where I'd usually hit 50 mph - and I'm not used to the feel
of the new shifter. Seat of the pants was quite misleading! I'm not
disappointed any more - as long as I can get the sound down before my
wife gets in the car.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions. BTW, the shop
where I had the exhaust done had never seen a HotShot system before.
They were impressed with the quality.

Frank - who'll likely never have an SE-R, but sure benefits from your
experience