(power?) door locks

Julian julian.hancock at amd.com
Thu Feb 19 10:07:37 CST 2004

Kieren wrote:
 >side also locks.  *HOWEVER* the downside to this is that
 >the driver's side door won't lock from the inside.  You
 >can only lock it from the outside

It was many moons ago but I'll try and explain the fix.

The problem on my NX when I first brought her home was
that the door lock wouldn't stay locked.  The little
lever felt "spongy" and never fully flipped all the way,
just bumping up against the car would magically unlock
the doors.

The problem was that little metal wire you see is a tension
spring. Normally there's a plastic part on the inside of
the lever that keeps it in place but that broke.  Pull the
lock lever off and you will see.  What I did was find a
little piece of metal rod (coathanger maybe) and JB Welded
it in place to span the broken part of the lever.  This
worked to effectively hold that spring in place.  Locks
have worked perfectly ~8 years and no ones the wiser.

The way they are supposed to operate is flip the drivers side
lock and it also locks the passenger side.  This is either
with the key or by hand.

 >concern (well, that and the fact that the passenger side
 >black trim piece probably needs to be glued in I guess?)

As for the inside door handle trim piece, Dunno about the NX
but my SE-R had one of the little plastic tabs worn down and
it wouldn't stay put. I molded a little blob of JB Weld (don't
leave home without it!) to make a new tab.  That held for many
years until just last weekend, but only because I tore the door
apart to put in new speakers ;-)

-Julian
'92 NX turbo & '92 SE-R