(power?) door locks

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121 at oak.njit.edu
Thu Feb 19 06:29:31 CST 2004

Excuse any ignorance but I'm not entirely familiar with B13s (but am
getting more familiar by the minute ;)  Anyway, this is on a 93 NX.  I'm
wondering if this car has or is capable of power locks.  I've attached two
pictures at the bottom.  The first one (DSC00080) is the driver's side
and the second one (DSC00083) is the passenger's side.  I
don't know if these locks are normal for a B13 or not.  There is this
little metal wire or something behind the manual door lock (see picture 80
- letter A and picture 83 - letter B).  On the driver's side, this piece
is in front of the black plastic trim piece (labeled A on the passenger's
side - they're basically the same thing)  That's the way it was when we
got the car and that's the way we've left it since then.  The passenger
side is a bit different though.  That little metal wire needs (labeled B)
to be behind the black plastic trim piece (labeled A).  Otherwise, when
you lock the door, it doesn't lock.  The manual lock goes as far as it can
but it still doesn't lock.  So, right now, I have the metal wire behind
the plastic trim but you need to hold it each time you go to open the door
so that the black plastic trim piece doesn't pop out from behind the wire.
As it's set up right now, with the wire behind the trim, when you lock the
door from the outside with the key on the driver's side, the passenger
side also locks.  *HOWEVER* the downside to this is that the driver's side
door won't lock from the inside.  You can only lock it from the outside
with the key.  I'm guessing this is a sort of idiot-proof lock.  I've
never seen this sort of 'central locking' on a B13.  However, I haven't
really paid a whole lot of attention to door locks before when driving
someone else's car!  Is this normal or is it yet another ghetto rig we've
found with the car?  I have a feeling it's possibly a 'modified' normal
thing.

My fiancee's mom wants to get her keyless entry from like a Best Buy or
something for her birthday.  They tell her that you need the door locks in
working condition.  It seems like that driver's side door is the only
concern (well, that and the fact that the passenger side black trim piece
probably needs to be glued in I guess?)  If I move the metal wire behind
the black trim piece on the driver's side (trying to get it to lock from
the inside), the manual toggle moves but doesn't lock the door.  I'm
pretty sure that this way it won't even lock from the outside with the key
this way.

Anyone have any more insight into this system and how it works?  Is it
possible to do a keyless (Best Buy type) entry with this setup?

TIA!!!

http://www.kieranlavin.com/temp/nx/DSC00080.JPG
http://www.kieranlavin.com/temp/nx/DSC00083.JPG

kieran