Starter whine (not)

Jack Ray rjrjack at knology.net
Thu Feb 12 19:38:56 CST 2004

My starter has been, for the last year or so, chirping at me.  Wouldn't call
it a whine.  I can't think of a better word than chirp.  Started w/real short
chirp.  Gradually got louder and longer.  The last week or so it's been really
loud and long, people look at me when I start the car.  I know, I know, I
should have done something about it way before now...

Anyway,  today at lunch, got in the car, it wouldn't crank, just sat there
chirping and turning over, but kinda hesitant.  I thought, "crap, I've let
something go too long again !! "  (We won't talk about the water pump).
Anyway, I spun it again, and it chirped a little, then cleared up, spun fast
w/no noise for several seconds, then started.  I've cranked it maybe seven or
eight times since then.  No noise, strong starter, fires right off.

The question now is -- am I just a lucky lazy cuss with a good starter, or is
the starter still iffy ??  Anyone had anything similiar happen ??

Thanks,

Jack
94 SE-R, barely 100K miles.