Repeat Clutch Problem

Tim Rogers timrogers at charter.net
Sun Feb 8 12:18:44 CST 2004

Ron A wrote:
> http://home.speedfactory.net/ratteber/042002-0003.jpg
> This time it was with a 2000 SE clutch disc. It's like
> the bolts holding the flywheel on are grazing the edge of the metal that
> holds the spring in. The outter leading edge of the bent out metal that
> holds spring in place for each spring is missing 1/4 inch of metal.

Hmmm, well Peter wondered if the clutch disk might have been installed
backwards, as the center section of the disk is closer to flush on the
flywheel side on my stock disk purchased back in 1999(?).  On this disk, it
is fairly obvious that there is only one way to install it, as the friction
material never touches the flywheel, but the springs do.  This happens to
such a degree that the car would be undriveable with the disk installed
backwards and the resulting damage would be immediate.  From the look of the
clutch in the linked picture, it was installed correctly.
I would double check that the locating pins are still in place on the motor
as someone else has mentioned, and I would also check that the input shaft
on the tranny does not have excessive play.
Past that, it could be a pressure plate or a flywheel issue...

As for the grease, I used some wheel bearing grease that had molybdenum
disulphide in it "Coastal moly grease" but that is petroleum based, not
lithium based and had seemed to have dried up a little when I pulled my
engine out last weekend.  Maybe you should start by asking the counter guy
if they have any "white grease,"  then see if that comes in a "moly"
formula.

If you need any help, I'm at:
(H) 770-614-3147
(C) 678-522-0640

Tim Rogers
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off, only the cockroaches and mammals will survive" they
said....  - http://www.pureinsight.org/pi/articles/2001/5/7/960.html