Repeat Clutch Problem

wmc_sr20 at bellsouth.net wmc_sr20 at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 8 10:02:48 CST 2004

At 08:36 PM 2/7/2004, Ron A wrote:
>[tranny / clutch problems]  Friday, I heard a noise, headed for home and
>confirmed that the same thing happened. This time it was with a 2000 SE
>clutch disc. It's like the bolts holding the flywheel on are grazing the
>edge of the metal that holds the spring in.

I think the damage on the disk happened after the initial failure; from the
loose parts bouncing around in there.

Are both the locating dowels on the bellhousing still there?  I bet
Not.  The bolts don't center the tranny to the block accurately enough.  So
there are two metal dowels to precisely locate it.  If the tranny is
replaced with out them, the input shaft is off center with the crank shaft,
and it puts huge stress on parts.  The clutch disk is relatively flimsy, so
it breaks first.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '91 NX2k / '92 SE-R (in boxes & bags)