Repeat Clutch Problem

Ron A atteber1 at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 8 09:01:54 CST 2004

Peter Serwe wrote:
'was a relatively small insignificant seeming spacer that went *somewhere*'
  ---I bought the car used. I didn't see a spacer on the flywheel. I
looked at the FSM, page EM-52, and see an unlabeled spacer. It would
seem that the bolt heads would be closer to the disc if a spacer was used.

'clutch disc is going on backwards (is this possible?)'
  ---I'll check again tomorrow. I don't have a new one yet, but I will
reverse the disc and see if it rubs on the bolt heads. The springs are
visible on both sides. On the other side the whole assembly sticks out
further, making me believe that it was in correctly.

'Did the original flywheel bolts get damaged or lost'
  ---A friend of mine had some original bolts and they were the same. We
used his to replace my damaged ones.

'*maybe* your flywheel has been resurfaced too much'
  ---Buying it used, I don't know.  The first clutch job was done around
75k miles. I wondered about that also. If the area for the disc surface
was removed without removing metal for the bolt area, that would put the
bolt heads closer to the springs.

'Lastly, do you pop the clutch a lot?'
     I have my moments, but I'm really pretty easy on the
transmission/clutch. I don't drag race.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm leaning toward the bolt-to-disc clearance.
Maybe this is an excuse to get a lightweight flywheel  :-)

Ron Atteberry