Cold Start Problem - B13

Larry Martin bizznzman at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 11:32:50 CST 2004

Hello group, it has been awhile since I last posted but I
have always lurked over your shoulders.

I have a tertible cold start problem with my "92 that began
about a year ago while living in Sarasota Florida.  With my
return to St. Louis, the effect is much worse in the colder
environment.

All the usual in-depth tuneup items have been done including
returning base timing to 15 degrees.  MAF clean and properly
grounded.  No codes have been thrown.  Fuel pressure has
been checked for running pressure and tested for leakdown
over time.  Injectors checked for leakage into cylinders.
Neither is an issue.  Good spark, 800 CCA battery with
good contacts.  It has become a hair tearing issue as the
crank-crank-crank is frustrating and very hard on the the car.
Vehicle runs fine after starting, fast idle works well. No surging
in any regime (although idle is slightly "bumpy" but very minimal).
Vehicle tries to die sometimes after a hot restart (first acceleration
after restart, declutch, then idle *sometimes* drifts down to die if
you don't catch it with the accelerator).  Careful searching for a
vacuum leak has turned up nothing so far.  Cold temp sensor
has *not* been changed out as yet, EGR has been cleaned
but not the EGR/BPT tube yet and, as I said, no codes.
Any ideas are welcome as archives do not seem to address
this issue very well.  I am becoming slightly crazed over this.
Would cold temp sensor throw a code?  Any thing to look at
in the IACV circuit I've missed?

Larry Martin
'92 SE-R