POX on OBX! Help?

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Mon Jan 26 21:58:03 CST 2004

My understanding on that issue, is basically thus:

There is NO such thing as a warranty on performance
parts of *any* type.  Is it a defect in materials and
workmanship?  Probably not.

Headers crack!  It's a known fact.  NASCRAp guys replace
their whole header assembly after ever race.

For something to last a year, or several, is not unheard
of on the street, but all kinds of factors could affect
that.

Huge amounts of factors, even.

I would be willing to surmise, that if a vehicle cracked
headers at the welds often, that there is a tuning issue
that needs to be addressed - like maybe it's running to
rich for some reason?  Or maybe the timing's retarded
or retarding for some reason and heating the exhaust up?

Or maybe the motor mounts aren't dampening the
vibration as much as they should?

Or maybe strange heat up/cooldown cycles are causing
stress along the welds?  Or maybe when a hot weld
bead meets a some cold water, the bead freaks and
cracks?

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but all these things
*could* affect the longevity of a part.

Now, parts shouldn't arrive out of the box cracked,
I've heard of 'DOA' warranties on things, but multi
year warranties on performance parts?  That's an
unrealistic pipe dream.

HotShot's stance on the issue, I don't really have a
problem with, ethically, or otherwise.

If it cracked in 90 days with no serious aggravating
factors, I might be inclined to have an issue - I'm
awfully skeptical that John wouldn't look at that a
little more seriously.  If I felt *really* strongly, I
might even send it to him UPS to take a closer look.

I *think* if it was a defect in materials or workmanship,
I'd expect him to do something about it.  I don't think
that's the issue with them cracking in a year or 2 though.

I think that's due to aggravating factors.

For whatever it's worth, you asked for an opinion,
so there you go - you got one.

:)

Peter

--