OBX and stuff

Lawrence Weeks dev at anabasis.net
Mon Jan 26 15:21:54 CST 2004

Once upon a time (Mon Jan 26), Briancembor at aol.com wrote:
> BiH writes:

>> Every company has overhead. You have to pay for it from profits
>> on the products and services you sell. If you can't, you go out
>> of business or change business model

> that is my point about HS. perhaps it is time to re-examine their
> business model. if so many people are willing to *buy a stolen*
> design perhaps you need to figure out why they are not willing to
> spend more on your product?

In general, given a rational market, that's a good
observation. However, the market for souping up cheap econo-cars
owned by teenagers is not exactly rational. In this particular case,
I believe that price is the overwhelming factor.

> from all i have read and heard over the last several years about
> HS all 3 have been questioned repeatedly. to me as a salesweasel
> this means that they are not going to be succesful in the long run...

One has to determine one's definition of success. I am fairly
certain that Hotshot does not wish to become a design and marketing
corporation, ala the Levi Strauss as of today, outsourcing work to
the second world (I think China has moved past the third world). To
support his business as it operates, doing research, futzing
around with cars, being involved with racing, he sets his prices
appropriately. Likely, his definition of success is being able to
continue operating his business as it is run, maybe grow some more,
but not become too big such that he becomes more of an executive than
a hands-on participant. There are lots of small businesses that reach
such a plateau, and happily remain there forever.

Regarding OBX, nobody is telling anybody that they *cannot* purchase
the header. Rather, they are saying that they will neither support nor
facilitate the purchase of those headers. They feel that to do so is
short-sighted, as OBX will not innovate, as OBX is not involved with
the community, is not on-the-ground and participating. What people are
saying is that purchasing the header is more than merely purchasing
a product. It is purchasing an ongoing service that is funded by the
product, and they value that ongoing service enough to pay more than
what may be considered a "fair market" price for the product alone,
determined in our global "race to the bottom."

Certainly, Hotshot could improve their service. They could hire some
people to sit in front of phones and answer/return calls. However,
that is not the type of business they choose to operate. I know
other niche businesses like that. You do much better to drive over
and talk in person, as the phone doesn't get answered much, nor do
calls get returned very timely if at all. They will always be niche
businesses. But, I value them and use their services, which may cost
more than their competitors.

What Mike and others are doing is expressing their viewpoint regarding
that perceived value and its preservation. Matt expressed his viewpoint
by not letting his facility be used to do something with which he
disagrees. If forum "members" were paying a subscription fee, then
that could be questionable behavior. But as it is, Matt is God there,
just as I am God here. Perhaps Matt's deification is a little bit more
questionable, though, along with most other web sites, as they take
funding from sponsors and such. Mine, though is unimpeachable :-),
as I wouldn't accept a dime from anybody. I've never wanted that type
of potential conflict, whether actual or perceived.

Larry
Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks at anabasis.net
Anabasis Consulting Ltd